Saturday, October 25, 2008

Subway?

Alex and I were heading toward the bus stop last night when a teenage couple stopped and asked us a question.

"Where's the closest subway?"

Alex paused, thinking.
At first I was confused (this isn't NYC, we call the train "the El"), then I took initiative and responded.

"You mean the train? Well, see that street there? That's Chicago. Walk about two blocks that way, and right in front of the McDonald's you'll see stairs going down. Take those down and there you are!"
The girl nodded and said "Thanks."

As we were walking away, Alex said "See, I paused because I thought she was talking about the sandwich place."
"But I said 'the train,' right?" I replied.
"Yeah, but she didn't say anything when you said that, so I don't know if she meant the train or the restaurant."
"oh."

Well, we figured out there was a Subway near there, anyways, but it wasn't located underground down some staircase. Hopefully the couple found their way.

No comments: