Wednesday, August 18, 2010

No, that's not poorly translated: you just don't know your native language

So I have been applying for some jobs online. Some in Spain, some in the USA.

Of course, when going on a Spanish job site, one expects that the "click here for English" button will inevitably mis-translate a lot of things on the page, or at least make them awkwardly written.

After completing a Spanish online application, (which, by the way, has been the easiest of all applications I have done online, INCLUDING THOSE OF MY HOME COUNTRY), the page read

Please remember that if you are interested in applying for a job, it will not be necessary that you fill in all the fields because once you enter your email address and your password our system will accede to the information.

And I was all "ha! Accede! They translated that from 'access' which is 'acceder' in Spanish...and it resulted in this non-word!"

Then I looked it up on an English dictionary site. And it really IS a word. That means access. So I guess I just don't know my own language very well.

No comments: