Thursday, November 6, 2008

Supernova Girl

I was randomly humming the song from Zenon: Girl of the 21st century today. Remember that? "Zoom zoom zoom, make my heart go boom boom--my supernova girl!"

Yeah, so I was singing it aloud when I realized that the lyrics are slightly more intelligent than I thought, or at least one part is.

Here is the beginning of the song until the chorus:

___
Stargazing megafast
You hit me like a cosmic blast
You've given me a Technicolor world

Putting me in Overdrive
Speed of light, I'm so alive!
Could you be my supernova girl?

Interplanetary, Megastellar, Hydrostatic
There's no gravity between us
Our love is automatic!

(Zoom Zoom Zoom) Make my heart go
(Boom Boom) My Supernova Girl(x4)
____

So that stanza before the chorus says "there's no gravity between us, our love is automatic"...well, if you know any physics, then you know that there is always gravitational attraction between any two objects on our planet. For example, if a glass of water is sitting on a table next to a lamp, there is a gravitational force between the lamp and the table, the glass and the table, and the lamp and the glass. My high school physics teacher would always joke (and I would always laugh, b/c I'm a nerd like that) that if someone were to hit on you and say "don't you feel some attraction here?" you could always respond "No, it's simply gravitational."

Get it? Gravitational attraction! Haha! ahh....

So, back to the song, the lyrics go "There's no gravity between us, our love is automatic," implying there is no gravitational attraction, just a loving attraction!

Amazing! Clearly the writer of this song knows his/her basic gravitational physics!

Well, I thought it was pretty amazing.

No comments: