Thursday, April 17, 2008

I clean up a little nicer than this.

Before the school year ends, we have to do these final presentations of a project we did throughout the semester. This week were the presentations, and you do them with your group. The teacher instructed us to do a formal business-like presentation, and therefore we were to dress nicely.

I already did mine on Tuesday, so I was just a member of the audience today.

Before class began, one of the groups was running through their presentation to make sure they had their transitions all worked out and met the required time limit. After their mock presentation, one of the guys in the group comes up to me and politely asks "Hey, do you mind if we go first presenting today? We just want to get it over with." And I told him I had already presented Tuesday, and that I therefore do not care if he goes first, because I am just an audience member today.

I look at his suit, crisply ironed, with a starched white shirt underneath, and a tie that has a Windsor knot that would put any GQ editor to shame.
I then look down to my frayed jeans, my 3-year-old dirty frayed Converse, and my heather-grey shirt I have had since 5th grade that reads "class of '99!"
I then ask, "I hope this is not what you think is my definition of 'business-like attire.'"

Then a couple of my friends showed up as this conversation was happening, and Adam laughed as the guy walked away and I said "I clean up a little nicer than this."
Then Evan jokingly commented "maybe it was the necklace," referring to my $2 clearance, plastic round-beaded necklace, which while it is pretty awesome, would definitely not hint at a well-thought out plan for my wardrobe choice for the day.

No comments: