Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spanish Words.

Some words in foreign languages just don't seem to connotate the action/thing they are representing. Perhaps it is just because I learned English first.

For example, when I think of the word "sparkle", I think of a pretty little star, twinkling in the sky. Or glitter. Or a pretty dress. Or a diamond. Something beautiful.

The word for "sparkle" in Spanish is "relampaguea" (ray-lahm-pah-GAY-uh)

When I hear "relampaguea" I think of regurgitated cafeteria food. I dunno, I just don't see something all pretty and twinkly with the word "RELAMPAGUEA!!!!!"


Next, I would like to say I have found a new word in my (Spanish) dictionary that I hope to be able to use soon.

This word is "jilipollada" (hil-ee-poy-YA-dah) which means "silly thing to do" or "stupid thing to say"
Or, according to my dictionary, if I use it in the way "esos son jilipolleces" it means "that's a lot of bull."



Lo siento, esto es jilipollez.

No comments: